Sunday, 29 July 2007

Ratatouille À La Popcorn

I won't post the official film trailer, because Lindy pre-empted me by several weeks (OK - so I can be a bit slow responding). So many wonderful lines of dialogue: "I hate to be rude... but we're French." "Now shut up and eat your garbage". "Do you detect that oaky nutiness?" - "I'm detecting nutiness".

There's something about Rémy that really reminds me of myself. I have exactly the same passion for innovation and experimentation in food and I seem to evoke exactly the same reaction from French chefs when discovered in their kitchens as did our little rodent. On the subject of mes chers amis français, can someone explain to me why on earth there is no character in the film Ratatouille with the Gallic name Martin? (for my American readers, that's [mar•tan]).*

I'm turning my attention instead to this "behind-the-scenes" interview with the guys at Pixar about the complexities and delights of producing computer generated (CG) food. Watch the clip and see just how much effort and expense was applied to making cartoon food look like the real thing, so you'd really believe it and want to eat the screen. And then muse upon the final words in the video, from production designer Harley Jessup. God bless corporate America!


* Martin, Rémy... Oh, suit yourselves.

11 comments:

wzpjn said...

Wow. He's hoping to sell more popcorn in the theatre? Not that there is anything wrong with popcorn (though the kind sold in theaters is pretty scary), but I suspect this movie will make people hungry for Remy's sort of food (as opposed to "shutting up and eating our garbage.") It made me want to run home and cook.

I'm reminded that, years ago- after seeing "Eat, Drink, Man, Woman" in a theater, my friends and I were unable to go home without stopping for Chinese food. Sadly, what was available at that hour-in Pittsburgh where everything closes early -did not come close to the high end gorgeousity of the food in the movie. But we were absolutely driven to try for it!

lindy said...

No, not "wzpjn"- it's me. I can always find some new mistake to make.

Julia said...

Cool - I'm going to see a preview next week! It looks really good. I'm a big kid and love animated films so an animated film about food is pretty much as good as it gets for me!

William said...

This was a great foodie movie! Did you know Thomass Keller (of French Laundry and Per SE) was the consultant?

Kathryn said...

I just found your blog and love it already! Good luck in your new job! Did I read is was in Spain? I'm a big fan of Barcelona and have also recently visited San Sebastian and eaten at Arzak which was amazing. Hope to read more of your adventures soon.

Trig said...

Lindy - I love eat drink man woman, especially the opening scene where the old guy prepares all sorts of amazing food and with such eye-opening skill. And I just love the first bit where you see the fish swimming around before being plucked straight from the water. The chopsticks down the throat technique is pretty gruesome though!

Julia - I'm guilty of not having seen it yet myself, but I'm sure I'll get round to it soon. The effort that went into the CG food was just astounding.

William - No I had no idea that they got him in, that's no mean feat! French Laundry was recently voted 4th best restaurant in the world

Kathryn - Thanks for visiting and for the kind compliments. I will indeed be heading out to Barca after the summer, I'm actually in the process of writing to the place now. I've been to the Basque country once, when I was ten. We went to Bilbao and did the Guggenheim, amongst other things. How was Arzak? I've read quite a lot about it, I know that they've been serving exquisite food since 1897! My plan is to move on to the Basque country as my next step after spending a year or two in Catalunya. Hope to hear from you again soon.

ros said...

Excellent. It's about time there was something good on at the cinema. This looks like lots of fun.

Trig said...

Ros - Ratatouille premieres in the UK at the Edinburgh Film Festival in August. As soon as local distribution is announced drop me an email and I'll see if my girlfriend and I can make up a foursome with you and Andy or join you as part of a larger group or whatever.

Kathryn said...

Arzak was pretty special, my first 3* so I was very excited! Would have been better if the Spanish didn't insist on smoking in the restaurant but the food was really good (I have a menu if you're interested but it's all in Spanish) Mr Arzak himself was in the restaurant chatting to customers, was a great experience. One day hopefully I'll be able to compare to El Bulli (enter the "lottery" every year but not succesful yet!)

Trig said...

Kathryn - I'd like to see Arzak's menu from when you ate there, and the Spanish won't be a problem ;-)

GODrums said...

thanks for that...it was pretty dang cool to see.


Blog tools

Directory of Food/drink BlogsBritish Blog DirectoryChefs BlogsFood & Drink Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog DirectoryBloghubBlogBibThe Foodie ListBlogrankingsBest Of The WebBlogSweetBlog UniverseLink With Us - Web Directory
My ZimbioToday.comFood BuzzAdd to Technorati Favorites